Monday, April 12, 2010

Wooden Spoons








This project involved transforming a single object into something with an entirely different function. My original object was a croquet mallet. I deconstructed my original object into three pieces, two that would serve as the handles for the spoons and one that I could form into their heads. I wanted to preserve some of the objects details like the grooves along the handle. By using a lathe I was able to exaggerate these characteristics and make a form that was also comfortable to hold. I cut up the original mallet into several sections that I then carved into the head of the spoons. I used a di-grinder as well as several different sanding tools to refine it enough to have a smooth and visually interesting shape of a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment